Sunday, June 7, 2009

Moving my Internet Gateway

Up until yesterday I had been using wireless connections throughout the house. I have a Bigpond account with a wireless modem that was sitting in our bedroom. I wanted to move the modem into the computer room so that I could have a wired network. This would allow me to connect a NAS device to the network and have some semblance of decent speed within the network. Having a few unused telephone connections within the various rooms it was a simple matter of moving one of these. Well that should have been the case. I took the line that was in what used to be the study (previous owners) and moved it into the computer room. This was the obvious choice as the line only had to be moved about 2 metres (horizontally) to the opposite side of the wall. The new and old computer rooms are adjoining. After taking the tiles off the roof, disconnecting the plates, moving the wire, reconnecting the plates, and getting a dial tone it was time to try out the connection. Unfortunately the telstra message "the line you are using is not connected" was played when I dialed a number. OK so that line was no good. So I had to undo the line that was in my sons bedroom (checked that this line actually worked first), got into the ceiling, traipsed the line across multiple rooms and put it down the wall. Back inside connected it all up, and the line works. So I now have the modem/router all within connection distance of the computers and just need some LAN cable to connect it all together. A great way to spend the day. And I don't have the loss of signal from my modem that I sometimes experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment